Saturday, May 31, 2014

Yuyuan Garden- the beggining of Zhongguo, my journey to the Middle Kingdom…. the other China


Yuyuan Garden was my research topic in Shanghai. My original perception of China as a whole was that of a country with many restrictions. To my surprise, life goes on, and yes, government still controls what you do and what you can say or watch on television, but Chinese people are resilient and strong. I realize that I developed these conclusions through the media and speculation. Our media only puts out there what they perceive is “important” and therefore we are only getting one part of the message. Chinese people will agree.

Yuyuan Garden, my research topic in Shanghai.

I was not sure about Yuyuan Garden, just as I was not sure about what China was going to be like. I think we all have a different idea of how Chinese people live. Our journey to China changed my mind, but more importantly, it made me reflect and take a second look at how I live my life.

The Journey Begins

After a long flight, we all meet at the airport and head to our hotel the Shanghai Yan’an Hotel, and as planned we will begin our journey through China on Wednesday starting with the Shanghai Museum in the morning and Yuyuan Garden after lunch.
We all gather at the hotel lobby, to meet our guide. He is a funny little man his name is David (this is not his Chinese name). We head out to the Shanghai Museum and then to Yuyuan Garden.
While we travel the streets of Shanghai, I can’t help but notice how clean the streets are. There were trees and flower planters everywhere. The must interesting thing to me was how our driver flew through the narrow streets and beeped his horn at pedestrians so they move out of his way. Yes, in China pedestrians yield to the cars and mopeds, you must watch for vehicles or even bicycles or you are toast…we are close and we made it alive!
We have arrived to the garden, but we are dropped close by. Streets are to busy and narrow, so we must walk about a block to get to our destination. As I look around, I notice a prominent Western influence, from the buildings to clothing to buildings. The Yuyuan Market is the first thing we see. The shops are strategically located at the entrance and at the exit of the Garden. Thousands of people visit this place and the shops range from Chinese silk, to jewelry, my favorite dumplings, there is a Starbucks and McDonalds.  The Western influence is everywhere and I think the Chinese people embrace it. I am not sure if they are simply curious, especially the younger generation or it is the result of glocalization.

As we enter the garden there is a big rock with a dedication, a common theme in China. The curious thing is that this old classical Chinese garden still exists. It was built between 1559 and 1577. It is a maze of Ming Dynasty pavilions, elaborate rockeries, arched bridges and goldfish ponds (the biggest gold fish I have ever seen), all encircled by an undulating dragon wall. After walking through the garden, I found that everything has a meaning to Chinese people, I guess it comes from how deep rooted their traditions are and how important their heritage is to them.
Still in the middle, this garden stands, surrounded by concrete tall buildings, cars and mopeds to remind us that certain traditions withstand time and a small piece of the past is here to stay.

Fun fact:  Yuyuan Garden is about two blocks West of the Bund.  The Garden is a true example of Chinese culture, and although Chinese people embrace Western commodities, they will always accommodate the local needs of their people.
 

No comments: