Friday, May 9, 2014

I do not know much about China, her culture, nor her history. I really only have assumptions based on meeting some people from China, a semester at school, what I have seen on television and the two areas that I will be presenting during our excursions. I am looking forward to discovering first hand about China. During my research into the Peoples Square, I learned a little about its history, but more surprisingly I learned about the Tea Ceremony Scam.

This took me by surprise, how prevalent it was and how smooth they operate. I actually look forward to seeing it in action, but of course I will not participate (I don't like tea anyways). The Chinese people I have met in the past have been a very quite and unassuming. Almost to the point of being shy. But to be a scam artists takes boldness. I am not saying that the Chinese are not a bold or brave people, just that this type of behavior is not one I would have associated due to my limited interaction.

Another area of interest is in the food. It is my understanding that what I consider Chinese food has been very "Americanized". Although I have been recommended not to try the street vendor foods because my body may not be accustom to the local fare, it may be hard for this food junkie to resist. But this could be an opportunity for me to change my eating habits. I have recently been diagnosed with high cholesterol and Type 2 diabetes. My weaknesses are cheese and white breads. And red meat. I have been trying to adapt to a new eating lifestyle but have found great difficulty in changing. While I am in China, I will have an opportunity to be more mindful of what I eat, while also being denied some of the foods I find difficult to resist.

A friend of mine brought up another point. He asked me to count how many times we can see the Sun especially while in Beijing.The air quality in China is nothing like what we have here in the United States. There are apparently many mines and a lot of construction going on, This has led to a lot of dust particles that prohibit the chances of seeing a clear and sunny day. I will probably be bring a mask with me now that I know this.

Overall I have many assumptions about China. It is almost time to see what is true and what is not. And also what I missed.
Adam


No comments: