Friday, May 30, 2014

Beijing air pollution

   So before my trip to China, I had read and heard about the air quality in Beijing. It was an area of concerned for me, I had seen pictures of people wearing masks and going about their business as normal. I was expecting to have difficulty in breathing since I would probably not be accustom to it.

   Once I arrived, I could see the pollution they were talking about, but it was much less than anticipated. It did not present me with any respiratory problems, although I can not say the same with other members of our class. I guess I was expecting something along the lines of a thick fog, like the ones that happen in Orlando from time to time. It was never that bad, more along the lines of a distant fog up high. I would estimate visibility at only a couple of miles at most. Still it was noticeable enough that on our third day in Beijing, when the sky was clear, we could actually see the sun and blue skies! It became an instant mood enhancer as we walked to our tour van. It remained clear for the rest of the day and made our trip to Tiananmen Square and Forbidden City hotter than expected.

   According to the U.S. Embassy in China, since 2008 there have been a total of two days where the air quality levels did not move beyond "good" levels and over 1812 days where the air quality has reached at least unhealthy levels. With all of the factory, vehicle and construction contributing to the air pollution levels, China is in trouble. It is hopeful that they will be able to combat this problem and may one day see the sun more often then not.
 

No comments: