Saturday, May 31, 2014

Forbidden City


In Beijing, one of the most interesting locations for me was Forbidden City. Located in the center of Beijing, Forbidden City was house to the emperors from the Ming dynasty to the Qing dynasty. What I found fascinating about Forbidden City is that get to understand a lot about Chinese culture. There are many details of how things were constructed or positioned for different purposes. For example, the pathways to the buildings that were divided in three and each door were intended for a specific group of people. Also the use of nine objects used on every significant building and structure, showing the significance of number nine in Chinese culture. Another thing I learned from visiting Forbidden City was how advanced the Chinese were in math and astronomy when Forbidden City was built. Forbidden is impressive and how everything has a purpose including the number of rooms, the shapes of the buildings and walls, etc. I enjoyed Forbidden City far more that I thought I would, because when you understand the reason why everything is where it is it becomes much more interesting

No comments: