Monday, June 9, 2008

Food?

Before we left for China I was always the one among friends and family that would try any type of food. My family would always say, “Eww, Megan I can’t believe you’re eating that.” However, after going to China I realized that there are a lot of foods I will not even consider trying. For once in China I was the one saying, “Eww, I can’t believe you’re eating that.” I seemed to survive fine on poptarts, gummies, granola bars, white rice, and room temperature soda. Yes, during the trip I would crave a nice juicy burger with everything on it, within reason. However, I wouldn’t go back and change a thing. The food is a part of the experience and trying new things. One day I thought I would be adventurous and eat a cooked mushroom but come to find out it was eel. My saving grace was McDonalds! Their chicken nuggets and fries were the best I have ever had, but that’s partly because I was starving. In all the times I only ate white rice and broth there was a bright side, you lose weight. That didn’t last long because I devoured everything in sight once I was back in the States. I won’t be eating Americanized or Authentic Chinese food any time soon but I miss the big group meals with a big lazy susan and everyone trying to guess what they were about to eat. It was an amazing trip and I can’t wait to go back.

No comments: