Sunday, June 8, 2008

American Food in China

Everyone remembers eating at McDonald's, Papa John's, and KFC in China. But I'm here to say that while sometimes it tasted really good, other times it tasted really bad. For instance...
McDonald's was awesome. I don't think I had ever been so glad to see a double cheeseburger without onions in my life. I devoured that burger and then my fries. But while my burger had tasted like fatty goodness, the fries weren't what they normally would have been in the U.S. That was alright though, because we had McDonald's again in Chicago. Those fries were the American classic.
KFC was a let down. They didn't really have anything that we had in the States except the popcorn chicken which was unexpectedly spicey. The chicken sandwich I ordered had a strange aftertaste but I was so hungry I didn't care. In the end, I was glad I had asked for french fries instead of mashed potatoes. I was skeptical that Chinese KFC mashed potatoes would live up to American KFC mashed potatoes and I had been right. Jillian had gotten the mashed potatoes and let me try some and I was grossed out. It tasted, to me, more like it was mashed potato skins. She didn't seem to care and ate them anyway, but I was happy that I'd gotten fries.
Subway was pretty interesting. The basics were there and I even dared to have a BLT despite the bacon looking pretty raw. In the end it was good, but didn't live up to the stuff I'm used to eating, but I reminded myself that we were in China and not that states. I think the BLT would have been better had they cooked it longer, but I made Amy and Jillian swear they'd call 911 or 119 or whatever was the emergency number was if I started choking or had some kind of bad reaction to the bacon. But I was fine so it was alright.
Everyone loved the Papa John's. The only thing I was curious about was how Papa John's got to China but skipped the rest of the United States? It's not in California and that's the closest state to China, so I was a bit blown away. But the pizza, as we all know, was perfectly greasy and wonderful.

No comments: