Sunday, June 8, 2008

Buddhism and the Lama Temple II

Alright, so I have to admit that the teenage punk rockers and models bowing down before a Buddha in worship was a sight that I could not take my eyes from. Not only is Buddhism quite alive there and the younger generations actively worship, but it seemed to be something that was incorporated into the daily system. To do list: meet up with rock band, perform in bar, go to temple to worship, work on new song. I refused to take any pictures of the worshipers because I felt that it was rude to take pictures of someone while practicing their religion, but the girl with the furred hoodie, yellow knee-high stilettos, and a bundle of burning incense in her hand seemed so out of place to me. Apparently, Buddhism is more relaxed than the Christian worship in the respect that you don’t have to be in “Sunday’s Best” to worship. And was the Lama Temple beautiful or what? I thought it was gorgeous with its ancient architecture and fresh paint. All three of the artworks in the Guinness Book of World Records were breathtaking, especially the huge Buddha. I almost fell backwards trying to see the top of the thing—true story.

No comments: