Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Yes, we ate at McDonalds


A little more than half-way through the trip, we made the democratic decision to eat dinner at McDonalds. How very American of us. I personally did not vote (how very American of me) because I was ready to do whatever the majority really wanted to do. Looking back, I'm glad we went to McDonalds.

Our Zhengzhou McDonalds blocked off a section of seats for us, and came around to take our order. We pointed to a sheet with pictures to place our order and within a reasonable amount of time, our food was delivered. I wonder if any American (or other country's) McDonalds would extend the same amount of service to international visitors. I like to think they would, but I've visited the McDonalds around Disney and I've never seen any employee taking orders at tables.

Eating at McDonalds made me realize just how much time we reserved for eating at the Chinese restaurants. With each meal, several dishes were delivered. No, not several, MANY dishes were delivered. On a few occasions, I anxiously awaited the watermelon to signify the end of the meal because I was full. Usually there were still more vegetables and soups on their way. We wasted so much food. With the McDonalds dinner stop we had some time to walk around Zhengzhou and shop at the mall. That was a nice change of pace. McDonalds also meant fewer people sitting at the table. I enjoyed the large tables, but it was a nice break to go back to the smaller group size that I'm used to at home. I didn't have to wait for food to make it's way around the table, or talk. It was more than just eating fast food, it was also a great chance to have a casual, informal meal.

No comments: