Tuesday, June 19, 2007

New Chinese Diet

You to can shed the pounds on the Chinese diet. What would you say about losing 10% of your current body weight? Well I can not only tell you how...

Actually, I have to admit the amount of weight I lost in China was more than expected. Prior to traveling to China I realized there would be foods not of my liking. I even expected to eat a little less than normal. The unexpected foods, lack of cheese and breads, smaller plates, use of chop sticks, less soda, sugar and decreased appetite all contributed to my blessed event. The continued running around from place to place also helped a little.

The food started out as a good selection of a foreign cuisine. Where the first nights exhaustion and late night beer didn't deter my eating, the discovered chicken head provided enough reason to put the chopsticks down. For me, the biggest reason for not choosing a food resulted directly from the presentation. As those who sat near me realized, I am a picky eater.


China can not accept the blame for my inability to eat. The food provided appeared to feed many other students. Brett and Rob both never seemed to have a problem eating all the different and unique types of food placed on those lazy susan. The food was nothing more than a cultural learning experience. Brett even grabbed a bite of the food pictured above. He even continued the night with a game of mahjong without any ill affects.


The first sign of my weight loss started while still in China. The last couple days I remember mentioning (complaining) to Rob about the pair of shorts falling off my hips. So I noticed the decrease in inches but didn't realize the extent of the loss. The food wasn't the only reason.

Apparently some people cared enough to watch my eating habits at each of the meals. Of course they only mentioned the concerned after being back in Florida. Anyway the point is that at most of the meals I ate very little. This created some concern but since I continued to walk upright didn't require any intervention.

If only those around me saw the world as I did during some of those interesting meals. The night of the dancers presented a most surreal occasion. Now maybe it was the beer but I swear the lack of nutrients caused such visions.

The fun and joking aside the difference in cuisine might be considered a bigger issue for travels to countries not similar to their own.

Personally I thought the loss of 20 pounds was a really good thing for me but some friends are concerned at the short amount of time. The biggest contributors for me were more likely the lack in cheese and bread. I am (was) a heavy pizza eater plus I put cheese on everything.

Now that the food in China sounds awful by my description there is a very good ending to the story. Since returning from China I changed the amount and types of food eaten. The trip helped provide me with an opportunity to discover a new method of keeping fit and trim.

Maybe there is something to that Chinese Diet.

No comments: