Monday, June 11, 2007

The Great Wall: Great In More Ways Than One

Visiting the Great Wall was one of the most memorable parts of the trip for me. The section of the wall that we climbed was 4100 steps long and I had no idea what would be in store for me climbing those steps. I think of myself as a fit person being on the varsity crew team. But, climbing the uneven steps on a hot day was hard. Everyone felt it. It was amazing to reach the top and realize that I had accomplished something important. The Great Wall is such a famous monument in the world. Before I knew that it was the only man made structure that can be seen from space. But, from Erica’s presentation I learned of the defensive, isolating reasons for the Wall and I learned of all the hard work that the Chinese had to endure to make the Wall. So many people died and their bones are inside the Wall. As I toiled at climbing the wall, those people had toiled even more than me and had even died on it. Another poignant point that I noticed was that many people had set up tables for selling items and they were placed along the wall, even high up. It was amazing to think that these vendors climbed the wall so many times with all of the tables and wares. I struggled, while it is normal for them. I also saw cleaning ladies sweeping up at each tower. And Chinese school boys raced each other up the steps in track suits that must have felt so hot to wear. I completely saw how much the Great Wall was a part of the Chinese. It was a huge part of those people; a national treasure. Everywhere we went, people would ask us if we had visited the Great Wall. It is so important to the Chinese; I only wish the U.S. had the same.



No comments: