Monday, June 11, 2007

A Chinese Perspective

Reflecting back on the trip, I tried to put myself into the Chinese perspective. What would it be like to live in such a large country among billions of other people? What would it be like to live under a Communist, authoritarian government? And without suitable water to drink or pure air to breathe?


An Abundance of Bicyclists

I found it difficult and overwhelming to think of being an individual in the masses. China is very focused on the collective rather than the individual and this is practical for an individual is but a speck in China. I can compare it to me studying at the University of Florida and studying at Rollins. I would have a smaller chance of being noticed by teachers or making any significant impact at UF, compared to personally knowing teachers and having thoughtful discussions in class at Rollins. Living in China I would find it very difficult to be noticed and especially to be a leader. So many people are the same. From the way they look, to what they study, to their position in life. Becoming a somebody in China is much harder than in the U.S.


Mao Is Still Revered
Living under a Communist government would be hard for me to deal with. But, I see how the Chinese live with it. Most have lived under strong Communist authority their whole life. Before that, dynasties ruled over China, in an even harsher authoritarian way. The Chinese have never known what freedom truly can be. Coming from American democracy, I would find it very difficult to not be able to make my own choices or to speak out my opinion to whomever I choose. My final essay for the class spoke of the need for freedom of speech and I still strongly believe that this is a very important freedom that all humans should have. The Chinese government takes away many human rights and I feel sorry that many ignore these violations.



A Smoggy Day in Shanghai

The problem of living in dirty polluted conditions is one that saddens me as well. Factories, cars, and coal production have contributed to a lot of pollution, yet the government does not seem to have many plans to reduce this problem. If I lived in China, I would get sick right away. I did get sick on the trip and I think that the major instigator of this was the air. The human body is not meant to be eroded by smog and harsh





Where is the Blue Sky?


germs. The streets were filthy, trash was abundant, and even Shanghai, a very developed city, was dirty to me. With the amount of people living in China, there must be someone who will be able to clean up, at least cleaning bathrooms and clearing the streets. There has to be a solution to limiting noxious fumes from factories. The government needs to put a focus on this issue of pollution and hygiene, or else devastating consequences will result.

But, besides the negative issues that I thought of, I also saw the beautiful culture of China and would love to live there despite the government. The Chinese are lucky that they are surrounded by so much natural beauty, I truly hope that its beauty may remain forever. And I really enjoyed the sweetness shown toward us in China. I will remember our experience forever and I hope to go back sooner rather than later!

No comments: