Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Shanghai Roads

While we were driving around the city of Shanghai, one thing that really stood out to me was the way the roads were built. I mentioned it to a few people, but no one really seemed to think much of it. However, I thought it was a pretty impressive engineering feat.

I remember driving down the highway one day with my brother, and seeing how jammed up the traffic was. There was a highway expansion going on, but there was the problem of what to do when there could be no more expansion? Eventually while expanding out the builders would hit houses, and obviously they cannot expand inward, for they would hit the road. My brother and I concluded that it might get to the point where roads would have to be multi-layered.

And this is why the roads in Shanghai stood out to me. It was as if I were seeing the traffic plans I feel will soon be necessary in portions of the roads where I live in reality. All of the roads are built on top of each other, intertwining in any way possible to to save space, using the least amount of space possible.

No comments: